The United States will need 400,000 welders to fill jobs by 2025, according to the American Welding Society. Welders work in aerospace, automotive, electronics, construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, and shipbuilding industries.
Participating in a SkillsUSA Welding Challenge will give you a headstart in developing the skills needed for your future career.
During the Welding Challenge, SkillsUSA members will participate in a hands-on welding competition (GMAW, SMAW), take a written test, and participate in a job interview.
- Welding Challenges are for high school SkillsUSA members.
- At least one adult advisor should accompany each school that is in attendance.
- Due to the popularity of this competition, schools are limited to a certain number of spots determined by the host site.
- If a school wishes to register more than the max per school allotment, they may register those students in the alternate registration category. The school will be contacted prior to the competition if there is room for their alternate to compete.
- The registration fee for student members is $20. There is no cost for the adult advisor. Lunch will be provided.
- Gold, silver, and bronze medals will be awarded during each Welding Challenge.
- The gold medal recipient will have a guaranteed spot at the State Leadership & Skills Conference welding competition in April.
- Participants need to be registered as SkillsUSA members for the current membership year. Click here to register as a member and for the Welding Challenge.
|DATE||LOCATION||START||END||MAX PER SCHOOL/TOTAL PER SITE||REGISTRATION OPENS||REGISTRATION CLOSES|
|Friday, October 13, 2023||Blackhawk Technical College||Advanced Manufacturing Training Center||15 Plumb Street, Milton, WI 53563||8:30 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||4 per school/24 total||8/29/23||9/29/23|
|Friday, October 20, 2023||Mid-State Technical College||Wisconsin Rapids Campus||500 – 32nd Street N., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494||8:30 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||4 per school/32 total||8/29/23||10/6/23|
|Tuesday, November 7, 2023||Fox Valley Technical College||Advanced Manufacturing Technology Center||4200 Poberezny Road, Oshkosh, WI 54902||8:15 a.m.||1:45 p.m.||6 per school/32 total||9/5/23||10/24/23|